A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN
- SERIES DIRECTOR - Steve Smith (Pilot + Series 1-5)
- Presented By: James Corden
- Regular Panellists: Freddie Flintoff, Jamie Redknapp, John Bishop, Georgie Thompson
- Executive Producers: Murray Boland, Danielle Lux, Jim Pullen,
- Commissioning Executive for Sky: Duncan Gray
- A CPL Production for Sky One HD
Premiering in March 2010, A League of Their Own is the successful Sky1 HD sports entertainment panel show hosted by James Corden, alongside team captains Jamie Redknapp and Freddie Flintoff.
Taking its cue from sports fans’ obsession with lists and statistics, every week one celebrity guest joins both Jamie and Freddie’s teams as they battle it out across three riotous rounds of sporting challenges. No sporting topic is sacred and the ‘red’ and ‘blue’ teams compete to see who will come out on top as their sporting knowledge, physical skills and competitive natures are tested to the limit.
Record breaking feats to headline grabbing events are mined for maximum comedy value as the show tackles important sporting questions including; ‘which footballer spent the most on their wedding?’ and ‘what does Usain Bolt think are the three best things about being the fastest man on the planet?’
Packed with the kind of sensational take home facts sports fans just love to quote, whose team will emerge victorious to prove they truly are in A League of Their Own?
A host of big names from the world of comedy, celebrity and sport have appeared on the show including Amanda Holden, Michael Owen, Mo Farah , David James, Jimmy Carr, Claudia Winkleman, Amir Khan, Frank Lampard, Andy Murray and Jenson Button.
- I played a leading role in creating the very distinct look for A League of Their Own, working closely with set designer Andrew Gates, lighting director Chris Rigby and camera supervisor Joe Finan.
- From directing the original pilot, through to successful commission. After directing the first three series I took the lead in "super-sizing" the set when the show moved to BBC Elstree Studios to allow us to stage even more ambitions sporting challenges. I continued to direct the show up to series five.
- These are some of the original set design images from Andrew Gates.